Friday, June 27, 2003

Holy smokes! I've been using my dad's computer all week. It's a Macintosh PowerBook (laptop), and it's on a cable modem. I don't believe I shall ever be able to go back to dial-up. Happily, I think I get home in time to take advantage of a "sale" on SBC Yahoo DSL, which I hope is decent service. It has to be better than my MSN dial-up, and it's only $6 more a month if I order by Monday. (Yes, we are drastically over-paying for our dial-up, but it is almost worth it for the convenience of not having to change our service.)

Also, I like this computer. I mentioned this elsewhere, so apologies to those who've already read it in another form. I don't understand Macs at all, and I think that it is my (somewhat decent) understanding of PCs that causes me to at times hate them violently. My theory is that if I had a computer I didn't understand, it would seem superior, even though PCs probably are, at least for what I use them for. However, I haven't got $2000 to invest in anything, so I will not have an opportunity to put my theorioes into practice.

Tonight Phoebe and I will be attending Swan Lake at the Met Opera House. It is American Ballet Theater's third-to-last performance of the season, and I am excited.

--Drastic Change of Subject Alert--

On Tuesday I had dinner with Nova. As far as I know, nobody reading this knows Nova. She and I grew up in the same town and attended the same college, but did not meet until a few years after college, at a mutual friend's funeral to be precise. She and Will and her boyfriend, Erik, all attended Antioch at the same time, but she and Erik had already graduated when I got there. She has a Master's from Columbia and he is almost finished with his (from NYU). She tells me that, though they would like to be permanent New York residents, they are thinking of moving to LA for a year or two so that Erik can explore the film industry. He is currently working on a feature here in NY, and has made several shorts of his own. Nova is a writer, and works as a copy editor for a publishing house. I told her about some of the stuff I've written, and she seemed genuinely enthusiastic. She wants to see the children's story, as the company she works for publishes children's books, and she would also like to read my "grown up" stories, and thinks that she will be able to suggest literary magazines for me to submit them to. This is all very neat and exciting, and a bit odd because I am so used to not doing anything with my writing.

It's 11:11. As good a time as any to sign off.