Thursday, August 14, 2003

Still hot. A little less grumpy.

To be fair, I am not as hot as before. (We are obviously not discussing my looks. Yowza! I'm hot in that department.) My darling boy left the clip-on fan with me today instead of bringing it to his office. He says he has a "plan" to stay cool at work. He wasn't specific.

I went to the post office this morning to pick up a parcel that turned out to be a copy of Andrew Bird's Weather Systems from Beth. This is very exciting, and will be even moreso when I get my computer to work so I can play the 8 minute documentary that's on the disc. Thank heaven for DSL - it's making the updates to QuickTime much less annoying. (I hate QuickTime, incidentally. It constantly puts itself in my startup menu, and I have to manually remove it to make the computer function at all.)

I spent a good part of the day yesterday looking over possible short-time jobs. Craigslist is fantastic but most of the listings are dubious at best. Still, it is a huge improvement over the last time I tried to use it. I can't remember if that was before I moved or after - if it was before, I can just assume that the Chicago database is less useful. I must say, though, that I am appalled by the lack of grammar and spelling ability exhibited by the people placing the ads.

Anyway, my plan is to find part time work doing a variety of things so that I don't go crazy. For example, I'd be happy doing things such as copy editor, production assistant, extra, typist, et cetera. I was thinking that I could write bios for struggling actors, if I knew any. (I wrote a bio for the little boy I used to babysit for, when he started going to auditions. I charged $10, because his mom insisted on paying me and I didn't think it was necessary since I was already being paid for watching him at the time.) I could also fix people's resumes, but that might be a tough one to break into since I can't seem to finish my own. Oh, the irony. I would also really like to be an independent contractor for development and production offices, reading scripts and writing coverage, but no one seems to know what companies act as liaison for that sort of thing, though I know such companies exist. Basically, I have tons of skills that I am not putting to use (at least not for money) and I am trying to figure out how to market them.

Hmm. I found an ad from someone looking for a teacher to homeschool her children. I wonder what sort of homeschooling s/he has in mind. I suspect that my idea of 'teaching' is a bit too liberal, but it might be worth looking into. (Ewww. I just described myself as liberal. I loathe defining terms like that.)

Speaking of liberals, which brings me to politics, I suppose it is really time that I looked into this whole Governor thingy. I have until October to figure out what the hell is going on. Thank heaven I have another year to sort out the Presidential election.

I have to cut my nails. I hope this entry is satisfactory as is.