Friday, January 16, 2004

a sixpence in my shoe?

Turns out that the whole saying is �Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, with a sixpence in your shoe."

I found this out at the most evil site on the entire internet, which for some reason I am still using. The "sixpence in your shoe" part was a link, which I followed, thinking perhaps it would explain the traditions (I know I've seen explanations before, I just can't remember where the sixpence thing comes from).

That was not to be. Oh, no. It was a page where I could buy a Lucky Sixpence. The price? $10.35 for ONE. I'm sorry, but isn't a sixpence worth, like, six pennies, British? Which is what - ten cents?

So tell me, dear British readers: do they still issue sixpence? Because if they do, I am willing to bet that it would cost a lot less than $10.95 to mail one to me.

Of course, there is also the issue of walking around with a freakin' coin in my shoe. But it sounds so romantic that I am willing to try.