Wednesday, March 03, 2004

10 Things I Hate About You.

No, not the movie. (I liked it.) Just that so often I see blog entries by other people containing "10 Things About Me" or "10 things you never wanted to know about me" or, of course, the dreaded "100 things" that so many people do. Anyway, I thought I'd make some sort of list myself. And as soon as I thought "10 Things," my brain added on the rest of the movie title. So there you go.

  1. There are photographs of me on a naughty website. I don't actually have copies of the pictures - anyone who feels like paying for a membership to the website, let me know. It's mostly lesbian stuff.
  2. I attended school for a total of six years. Fourth grade through eighth grade and one year of college. The rest of my education has been self-led. (For the irrepressibly curious: Fourth, fifth and sixth grade were at the Woodstock Elementary School; Seventh was at the Onteora Junior High; eight was at Columbus Academy, a magnet school in Manhattan; college was Antioch.)
  3. I would like to get a Master's Degree but have no intention of finishing a Bachelor's first. I have never been turned down for a job because of my education (or "lack" thereof). I think I would study Library Sciences or Film History if I were to attend a graduate program.
  4. My dream job is to write a regular column for a magazine or newspaper. My preferred topics would be home life or entertainment (duh).
  5. My dream career is to own a production company and develop film and television.
  6. The movie version of Watership Down gave me nightmares for years. I have never had any interest in reading the book, even though I own it. I saw the movie when I was six. My (adult) friend Michael asked me what movie I'd like him to rent for me (we had no television) and I asked for The Black Stallion, my favorite movie on earth (at the time). The video rental place didn't have it and recommended the evil, scary cartoon. It's been twenty years and I am still terrified of it.
  7. I haven't seen Michael since I was seven, and I still miss him. I know where he is (he's got a website), but I don't know if I want to contact him. Once he called me (again, I was about six) and when we got off the phone he wished me "sweet dreams." I dreamed about horses running through a field; I have never had a sweeter dream. I think perhaps I would rather keep my memories than know him now.
  8. I went through my parents' divorce at age nine (and 10 and 11 - it was ugly) and although I dealt with it very well, it has made me fiercely pro-marriage. I will never get a divorce.
  9. I am eating pretzels.
  10. I have strange social anxieties. I crave human contact but feel very insecure when it is not on my terms. Large groups reduce me to silence. If I go to a party with someone, I stay very close to that person the entire time, even if I enjoy the company of the other people in attendance. I am better at written or telephone interaction than face-to-face.