Monday, May 23, 2005

These are not the nerds you're looking for.

[I never finished this post. I thought it was not only complete, but also published. Now I feel bad, because the nerds were really cool. I had a nice time with them, and now Revenge of the Sith is out and they have probably all gone home and I never went back to see them again.]

4/25/05 11:59 a.m.
Last Friday I took a pilgrimage to Grauman's Chinese Theatre, where I met with the Star Wars Nerds. At the time of my arrival, there were five or six people in line. I was immediately welcomed, because the second words out of my mouth (the first being, "Are you the nerds?") were "I brought cookies." Also because I am totally cool and everyone would hang out with me if given the opportunity.

The first thing I will say is that I have reached the conclusion that the nerds are not stupid, and even have a sense of humor. I will even go so far as to say that I think they have gotten a raw deal, which I mean in more ways than one.

The second thing I will say is that I get them now. They're Deadheads. I mean, not actually. Some of them could be, I don't know. Seeing Revenge of the Sith is not why they are in line. At least, not the ones I spoke to. They are in line to be in line. To be with the other people in line. The line is its own entity, and the movie is separate. For some of them, the movie is still the end goal. But I think for most of them, it is inconsequential. They will see it, or not.

I think I get the original point of the line too. First-second-third person into the theater gets first-second-third pick of seats. The best seats in the house. The seats from which they will see the movie at its first showing. You know where the person who is third in line will be sitting if she uses her ArcLight ticket? All the way at the side. I've been all the way at the side. It's a cineramadome. The side near you is enormous and distorted. That is not a third in line seat.