Friday, February 21, 2003

When I first began using instant messenger programs, I refused to use emoticons/icons/whatever. I think I may go back to that way of thinking, because I loathe the concept of having my tone represented by stupid smileys.

And now for a more serious topic: After an unexpected explanation to [name withheld] as to why I had him blocked on msn, I feel the need to get a few things off my chest.

  • I thought The_Avenger was hilarious. Detrimental to the WD community and deserving of immediate banning, yes. Hurtful to many people I care about, yes. But funny.

  • I was lied to by at least 2 people, including the perpetrator if the false identity, when I asked them if they knew who was behind it all. One of those people had no reason to be truthful with me. The other did. I've ceased communication with both, because I see no reason to continue false friendships. The former was only ever a casual, insult-each-other and occasionally-talk-seriously friend, and perhaps it was unnecessary of me to stop talking to him. The latter, however, was someone who I trusted. I do not intend to ever speak to her again.

  • I have been accused of hypocricy over this situation. There is a very distinct line between being amused by something unfunny and expecting your friends to be truthful with you. End of story.

  • Despite possible indications to the contrary, I understand why someone would lie to one friend if they'd told another friend they'd keep something secret. I do not, however, understand why the thing that was being kept secret in the first place ever happened.

  • There are a lot of people I consider friends, and sometimes I cannot be a good friend to all of them, particularly since several of them violently dislike each other. I'm trying. I really am. But it's very tiring sometimes.