Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Moderation itself can be a kind of extreme...

So, my site is back up and I fixed my email account, except for one tiny detail: I am not receiving mail. That combined with the mystery person wandering around on the roof of my building at 1:00 in the morning is enough to make me retreat to the bedroom and bang my head against the wall until I lose consciousness. Wait - the bathroom. That way I won't wake Will up and I can lock myself in, just in case the guy on the roof is an axe murderer. (Of course, the bathroom door would be no match for an axe, so nevermind.)

There's this Tom Waits song. The refrain goes something like, "What's he building in there?" Come to think of it, that's probably the title of the song as well, but I can't go downstairs and check because there is a man on the roof and it sounds like he is pushing around a supermarket trolley and maybe banging it into the air conditioning vents thingies. What's he building out there?

That song always made me think of "The Thing Without A Name."

I should probably be scared, or at least cautious. The phone is downstairs, and the closest thing I have to a weapon is my coffee mug, now empty from a cup of hot chocolate I brought upstairs with me. It's a pretty damn heavy mug, anyway.

But seriously, I am not worried. It is probably a cat - noises are magnified at night. But I did grab the phone. I'm not stupid.

There are times when, as a WD moderator, I would like to reach through my computer and grab certain members of the board and smash their heads together. Though my title has nothing to do with that sentiment, it is apt.

I am thirsty. And it is late. I will probably go to bed shortly.