Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Election. Argh.

Dear John Kerry,

In the middle of the night I dreamed that I was watching television. The House of Representatives was being polled. I thought, "a tie!" I knew when I went to bed that such a thing was so close to impossible that I shouldn't even think about it, but I have no control over my dreams. And it was a nice dream.

I'm sorry that you lost this election. In fact, "sorry" doesn't really cover it. I am far closer to heartbroken.

You won my vote because my moral values are more important to me than any other issue at stake. Yes, my moral values - family values, if you will. My values tell me that my body is My Body and that although I am not a huge fan of abortion, to have the right taken away is to legalize the slavery and murder of women. My values tell me that every single human being deserves equal rights, and that if I can be married there is no reason that ALL of my friends, gay or straight, should not have that same right. And while I know that you are personally opposed to the rights I demand, I am convinced that you would not impose your beliefs on our country.

And yet, I am most regretful that I voted for you. Regretful because it turns out that you do not even have to be our President Elect to start breaking your promises.

What happened to "every vote counts and every vote counted"? To concede before every vote has been counted, even when defeat was certain (as it was, which I accept) shows a lack of care for your supporters, a disregard for your promises, and a charmingly pessimistic attitude. I do not personally think that you were wrong to concede the election, until you take that promise into consideration. I am disgusted with you.

I hope that John Edwards runs for President in 2008. I will not only vote for him, but I will volunteer my time if I have to. He seems to give a fuck about me.

Keep up the good work in Massachusetts. They need you.

Love,
Annika

------------------------------------------------

Note to my readers: I am having trouble accessing my blog. I can read it, but updating is not happening. I managed to circumvent the problem this morning by using BlogThis!, but am not sure whether I will be able to continue posting regularly. I will write my posts in Notepad and post them as possible."