Monday, November 01, 2004

Welcome to National Blog Writing Month.



It's National Novel Writing Month! And I will not be writing a novel. This is not because of my miserable failure at last year's attempt (I'm rather proud of myself for cocking it up so spectacularly), but because I lack motivation and had no time for preparation and besides which would rather be baking. Or, as the case may be, blogging.

NOTE: The cutesy icon above is a shamefully manipulated version of one of the NaNoWriMo participants' icons. I hope the good fellows over there can forgive me.

So, here's the deal: Stephanie plans to blog every day in November; Blogger recommends NaNoWriMo participation - while blogging your novel; I make my own rules.

I am going to write an entry twice a day, every day, for 30 days (hath November). I will allow myself to pre- or post-date entries, as long as I end up with a minimum of 60 for the month. These will be real entries, with real content, but I will allow myself one exemption for general exhaustion, presumably turkey-related (no, not tryptophan - I can't stand fowl). I will post more recipes, observations on married life, book/movie reviews (assuming that I read or watch anything), politics (if the election doesn't kill me - in which case, NaBloWriMo is canceled) and all the other stuff I post anyway. The only difference will be the frequency and - hopefully - length of the posts. I plan to use my last few entries as inspiration for length (with apologies to Matty, who is illiterate).

Of course I make no guarantees about quality. That would be ridiculous.

In closing, a note about health care: Will's employer can add me to his health insurance (medical only) for a staggering $676 a month. Yes, I'm afraid you read that correctly. Blue Cross will give me slightly less coverage for $65 a month. Does anyone else see the problem here?