Thursday, February 24, 2005

Purling in my Sleep.

I've been sick for a few days, so I think my sleeping patterns should perhaps be blamed on illness.

That said, I woke up several times in the night because I was dropping my stitches in my current knitting project. Happily, the actual knitting was safely in the next room. Even more happily, I realized this each time I woke up and didn't have to frantically search the bedclothes for it. Well, maybe once I did.

Since I seem to have knitting on the brain, here are some pictures.

I started out making this ribbed scarf:


It got to be about a foot long, and then I realized that while it was fairly nice, I just wasn't looking very forward to wearing it. So I ripped the whole thing out and started work on this:


I call it a schawl, because it is wider than a scarf but smaller than a shawl. (Size reference: the needles are about 14" long.) When I started it, I was certain that I had three skeins of the yarn. Unfortunately, I only have two, and I've had it for 20 years so I can hardly expect to find more. However, several years back Joni knitted me a hat and mittens from it. They're gorgeous, but I never wear the hat, so I am considering frogging it (that's "taking the whole thing apart" to you non-knitters) to make my schawl as long as I think I want it. We'll see.

In other news, I broke my vow to make something from Stitch 'N Bitch before attacking any of the pretties in Stitch 'N Bitch Nation, and am most of the way through one of a set of legwarmers:


That was my progress when I got up this morning. I think I'll be done with that one pretty soon. Then I have to start all over and do the exact same thing all over again, which sounds very boring. Oh well.