Thursday, October 09, 2003

I have lost my mind.

I know, I know, I was already crazy. I'll explain in a moment.

First I would like to state that last night's episode of Angel was possibly the worst hour of television that I have ever sat through.

Anyway, the reason for my claims of insanity. A few weeks ago, Lauren posted a link to National Novel Writing Month, the objective of which is to write a 50,000 word novel in just 30 days - in November, to be specific. I checked it out, and thought to myself, What a neat idea. But I kept thinking about it. See, the problem with me is that I'm a writer who doesn't write. I had this long conversation with Dustin last month about writing, and he said some things that really rang true for me - but I haven't done anything with them. One thing he said is that if you're not writing, you don't have writer's block - you're just not writing.

So I signed up. There's no penalty for not finishing, and no prize if you do - it's just a matter of trying. Something about the concept of quantity over quality appeals to me, in a masochistic sort of way. I have no idea what my novel will be about, though I have some brilliant ideas for filler and a vague idea for a main character.

November is bound to be interesting.