Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Nightswimming.

Not to brag or anything*, but I made a truly terrific dinner tonight. I decided to use the rest of the garbanzo beans** I had for hummus, and had already taken out some chicken to thaw for Will, so I made a mini-Mediterranean feast. I cooked red onion, garlic and red bell peppers, removed them from the pan, and browned the chicken. Then I added apple cider and covered the pan. When it started to boil away I added a chopped tomato and some sun-dried tomato. When the chicken was mostly cooked I removed it and put the onions, etc., back into the pan with olives and artichoke hearts. I cooked that for just a minute or two, removed it again, and finished the chicken, pouring everything else into the pan with it (except for a reserved portion for myself because I don't like chicken). Served it all with pita. Dee-lish.

After we ate, Will played Tenchu and I went online for a little while. After about an hour, I decided that it was high time we got some use out of the building swimming pool. I'd kind of wanted to a few times this winter, but it isn't heated. We dug up our swimming suits and went downstairs to play. (I have added a new suit to my shopping wish list, because it turns out that when your old one is even the tiniest bit too small, your tits tend to try to escape.) I am not a very good swimmer. I can do the breast stroke and a modified dog paddle that is actually much faster and more effecient than my many attempts at the crawl, and I can tread water like nobody's business, but I do not put my head under. Any water up my nose and I freak the fuck out. I am also one of those annoying people who hates to be splashed and goes into the water about an inch at a time. I was very brave and went in up to my waist immediately, ducking under to my shoulders within a few minutes. (I eventually go totally under, usually, but I have to hold my nose.) Will is a fish! It's so cute, and rather astonishing that I am the water sign. Somehow in six years we have never been swimming together. We played for about half an hour and had a very good time, though next time I will try to remember to take off my engagement ring and glasses before we leave the apartment. Even though we were the only ones in the pool, it made me nervous to have them sitting on the concrete.

The only real downside I can see to this newfound pleasure is that Ol' Blue Eyes*** doesn't react well to chlorine, even the low levels in our pool. I am going to get him some goggles, since it's his eyes that take it the worst. I think his skin will get adjusted to it more easily.

*Who am I kidding? I love to brag about my cooking.
**chick peas, for the uninitiated.
***I obviously mean Will. My eyes are also blue, but with a lot more green in them than his. I don't actually understand what eye color has to do with it, but Will seems pretty certain.