Tuesday, June 01, 2004

I don't get it.

It is completely against my nature to draw attention away from my birthday, but I have been reading some arguments regarding abortion and I got confused. I would post this on the WD, where there is a wider variety of people with extensive collective knowledge, but I will be DAMNED if I am going to be responsible for starting up any abortion debates. Besides, I know my readers are very intelligent.

Here is part of the argument that confused me. It is from the comments on a blog entry. The writer is questioning the blogger's choice (heh) to participate in the March for Women's Lives last month.

I just don�t understand how you could march with people who are willing to do such evil things to ensure that women can have abortions - like putting more power in the hands of the federal government - forcing people to subsidize abortions, etc.
Maybe I am just very, very naive, but it sounds to me like this guy (it is a guy, if that matters at all) is saying that it is OK for abortion to be illegal but it isn't OK to make sure it stays legal because that gives the government power. HUH? And as for subsidizing abortions, it's a medical procedure. I honestly do not know what his point is.

The blog post is here and the comment in question is the first one.

Please 'splainy.