Sunday, February 26, 2006

I love Austin: Reason #486

Will and I just had tacos for dinner. We have, in point of fact, eaten tacos for most meals this weekend - four of them, to be exact. This time was different. This time, I made the tortillas. That is, they started out flour and became tortillas. It was amazing and they were delicious.

I got the recipe from the Sin City DVD - the two disc, not the single. Robert Rodriguez, resident of Austin, is my hero. I already make his pork pibil from the Once Upon A Time In Mexico special features every year at Christmas. Now I never have to buy tortillas again (except maybe corn).

2 cups flour*
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup shortening - he uses half butter, half lard; I used half butter, half Crisco

mix to meal texture

3/4 cup warm/hot water

knead for a few minutes, divide into balls somewhere between golf ball and tennis ball size (golf balls will get you tortillas the size of your hand). Cover with a cloth you've dampened with hot water, let sit 20 minutes.

Roll out thin and cook in hot pan (teflon would be great for this). Cook first side a few seconds, then flip. Cook another minute, flip again, cook till nicely browned.

Eat.

*I used all-purpose. I think you could use anything (but if it's self-rising do not use baking powder, and be prepared for a bumpy ride). If you wanted to use whole wheat, I'd suggest sifting it first to remove the larger, gritty bits. A fine mesh strainer works well if you don't have a flour sifter.