Sunday, November 14, 2004

Van Helsing

It is with a great deal of surprise that I give this piece of fluff two thumbs up. Mind you, both thumbs are shaking like crazy because I cannot stop laughing.

After working myself up to hate The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen with a violent passion, I rather enjoyed it. I think this was because no movie could be as bad as I expected it to be. So when it came time to watch Van Helsing I assumed the same would be true, and I was right.

I confess, it made very little sense. That is, I understood the plot perfectly and it was stupid as fuck. I tried to explain some of it to Will and Jenn and they stared at me like I had two heads. (That could have been the booze, of course - vodka tonic for her, ginandtonic for him.) And Kate Beckinsale should be banished from all movie sets ever, and her highlights should be banished twice.

It's possible that I was able to enjoy the movie as much as I did because I went into it with the intention of treating it like a comedy. I don't know if it was intended as a comedy, but that is how I watched it, at John's suggestion.

But whatever the reason may be, I enjoyed the hell out of this movie. And I must say that I think the first fourteen minutes were actually brilliant and would stand up to much higher standards than the movie as a whole.