Wednesday, April 19, 2006

music meme

Step 1: Put your MP3 player or whatever on random.

Step 2: Post the first line from the first 20 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing the song.

Step 3: Post and let everyone you know guess what song and artist the lines come from.

AND DON'T CHEAT!!!

1. (OK, I'm off to a bad start here, but this song is in Russian or Romanian or something else I cannot transcribe. Freebie, I guess.) Santa Marinella - Gogol Bordello
2. "It's another November evening as you remember your way home" This Is Your Life - Dropkick Murphys
3. "How would you like to go bobbing for apples the shape of fish?" Clutch
4. "Behind a cliffside inn, heard a fiddle and a mandoline" The Soapmakers - Clutch
5. "Christmas time is here, happiness and cheer" Christmas Time is Here - The Vince Guaraldi Trio (A Charlie Brown Christmas)
6. "I'd really rather be all alone, I'd really rather be on my own" The Truth About Me - Dancehall Crashers
7. (Another freebie! This one is instrumental. And ten minutes long. And beautiful. And totally ripped off by Mark Mothersbaugh.) Minor Beatrice - Andrew Bird
8. "You ain't nothing but a hound dog, crying all the time" Hound Dog - Elvis Presley
9. "Gonna be a blackout! Gonna nail a black curtain up good and tight, gonna do what my air raid man says is right" Gonna Be A Blackout Tonight - Dropkick Murphys
10. "The winds outside are change, shadows move across the floor chasing the light"
11. "Champagne like a lady, you're everybody's baby, you're everybody's baby but mine" Champagne Like A Lady - Slim Cessna's Auto Club
12. "The strong man he will kneel down whilst angels strip him of cloak and crown" Strong Man - 16 Horsepower
13. "Say good little bad little you, what makes you tease me like you do?"
14. "Wait, don't go too early, you're tired but everyone's tired" Andrew Bird
15. "I'm singing this song 'cause it's time it was sung, I've been puttin' it off for a while" Tom Waits
16. "The ending isn't here (there's something wrong) but it's coming real soon (I'm lock, step, I'm gone)" Lock, Step & Gone - Rancid
17. (Oy vey with the freebies.) The Wedge - Dick Dale
18. (Oh, honestly!) Theology/Civilization (Conan The Barbarian) - Basil Paladouris
19. "It was all upon a foggy night, an abandoned road in the twilight mirror mirage" On A Foggy Night - Tom Waits
20. "Take It Off"

So, you know, post your guesses in the comments. Some of them? Absurdly easy. Most of them? If you are my husband or have very odd taste in music, you stand a chance. Or if you are a lousy rotten cheater and use google. Also please note that I transcribed them myself so this may in fact be a mondegreen game.